Being a caregiver does not mean that you have to give up your own rights! The following are included in a Caregiver's Bill of Rights, as formulated by Dr. Virginia Flagg.
A caregiver has the right to:
- Honest communication with the patient, his/her friends, family, and other caregivers.
- Express opinions and suggestions when appropriate.
- Expect the patient to make as many decisions and put affairs in order as much as possible.
- Make reasonable requests of the patient.
- Take care of his/her own needs without guilt.
- Express emotions in front of the patient.
- Acknowledge his/her limitations and obtain assistance from outside resources.
- Continue maintaining relationships and activities outside the caregiving role.
- Not take responsibility for decisions and actions made by the patient.